- efitton at yahoo dot com
- efitton at efitton dot net
Michigan State University 2004 – 2006
Secondary Teaching Certification GPA: 3.9/4.0
Alma College 1993 – 1997
Bachelors of Science GPA: 3.8/4.0
- Major: Mathematics (EX)
- Major: Computer Science (NR)
Bellevue Junior/Senior High 2008 — Present
Full time mathematics teacher of PreAlgebra, Math 8, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, and Advanced Computers.
- Member of Bellevue’s School Improvement Team and involved in planning staff meetings, planning professional development and completing State of Michigan rubrics.
- Worked in a Professional Learning Community developing the district’s mathematics curriculum.
- Integrated technology into the classroom by using a smart board and dynamic geometry software to help visual and kinesthetic learners.
- Supplemented traditional note-taking with inquiry tasks/queries and Socratic questioning.
Benton Harbor High School 2006-2008
Full time mathematics teacher of Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II.
- Integrated technology into classes with graphing calculators (TI-83/4) and dynamic geometry software to help visual and kinesthetic learners.
- Focused on helping students take notes and master the language of mathematics by building a word wall and employing visual vocabulary strategies.
- Communicated with parents/guardians through phone calls, notes home, conferences, and e-mail.
Holt High School 2005-2006
Year-Long Student Teaching Internship.
- Taught two sections of Honors Functions Statistics and Trigonometry (FST) and two sections of Advanced Placement Statistics.
- Helped mentor teacher organize oral final exams, helped students prepare, and helped students interpret judge’s comments.
Cody High School June 2005 – July 2005
Broad Teaching Fellowship.
- Planned, taught, and led activities for two sections of Geometry in
- Detroit Public Schools summer school program.
- Participated in workshops that addressed student diversity and teaching mathematics to English language learners.
- Involved in Reading Apprenticeship training and have been part of the school’s initiative of incorporating literacy throughout the curriculum.
- Participated in a High School Math and Science Success (HS MASS) workshop and applied the experience during Saturday ACT preparation workshops. – Benton Harbor
- Integrated into my classroom techniques learned in Love and Logic training.
- Met with MSU seniors during teaching lab to answer questions and reflect on senior year placement and internship.
Tutor 2005 – Present
Tutored students in mathematics from all sections and all courses taught at the high school.
Rocket Club Coach 2007
Co-leader of the Benton Harbor Rocket Team. Helped organize and chaperone a field trip to Muskegon and supervised the team’s activities which included building a rocket and preparing a science fair presentation.
Union Acceptance Corp 2001 – 2002
- Evaluated MS SQL Server to use as Data Warehouse and presented a
transition plan from the current data repository in Btrieve/Pervasive.
- Developed and placed into production reports used by accounting, legal, and claims departments.
SAFECO 1997 – 2001
- Used database skills and MS-Access to design and implement a system
allocating expenses and financial loads using multiple criteria.
- Programmed a Rate Effect System to calculate and compare rates between
two different companies on all insured vehicles.
Honors / Activities
- National Merit Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Alma College Math Team (1994-1997)
http://www.efitton.net Built a webpage with a focus on dynamic geometry software in order to better collaborate with my peers and to help students learn.
http://portfolio.efitton.net A webpage with MSU coursework outlined. This page highlights my thinking about student learning and understanding.
A print version of my resume can be found here. Resume.pdf